Providing strategic advice and practical assistance to create opportunities and develop solutions for today's agricultural challenges.
Expertise in agriculture policy is a core competency and major strength of Cornerstone Government Affairs. Our professionals have successfully represented a broad and diverse group of clients, including major commodity and livestock organizations, Land-grant universities, Fortune 100 food companies, wildlife and conservation organizations, agricultural lenders, commodity exchanges, and crop protection companies. Our team includes former senior professional staff from both the authorization and appropriations committees, personal and leadership staffs, cabinet-level executive agencies, elected and appointed officials and several industry organizations. This includes a former counsel to both the House and Senate Agriculture Committees and staff director of the House Agriculture Committee; a former Deputy Undersecretary of Agriculture and Senate Agriculture Committee Staff Director; former USDA Director of Intergovernmental Affairs and senior staff to chairman of both the House and Senate Appropriations Subcommittees on Agriculture.
Our expertise in agriculture policy has resulted in federal funding partnerships, legislative solutions, increased market share and improved federal programs on a multitude of issues ranging from child nutrition and farm bill reauthorization to annual appropriations. We have extensive experience in the majority of the programs implemented by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and through our work with various food industry clients, similar experience with programs implemented by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Primary Services Offered
- Strategic counsel and tactical advice
- Intelligence gathering, issue monitoring, and policy analysis
- Relationship building and political branding
- Design and implementation of government relations and lobbying campaigns to secure measurable legislative and administrative results
- Message and materials development
- Legislative drafting
- Political consulting
- Amcot, Lubbock, TX
- American Fruit & Vegetable Processors & Growers Coalition, Washington, D.C.
- American Sheep Industry Association, Englewood, CO
- California Winegrape Growers Association, Sacramento, CA
- CoBank, Greenwood Village, CO
- Cotton Growers Warehouse Association, Bakersfield, CA
- Crop Life America, Washington, D.C.
- Florida Sugar Cane League, Belle Glade, FL
- General Mills, Minneapolis, MN
- National Milk Producers Federation, Arlington, VA
- National Wild Turkey Federation, Edgefield, SC
- Produce Marketing Association, Newark, DE
- Sysco Corporation, Houston, TX
- United Egg Producers, Atlanta, GA
- US Rice Producers Association, Houston, TX
Cornerstone Government Affairs, working in partnership with our agriculture related clients, has had tremendous success over the years, including:
- Securing federal funding partnerships for specific projects and programs,
- Drafting hundreds of legislative solutions to client problems that have become law,
- Securing revisions in conservation laws that allow better cooperation among resource conservation entities,
- Assisting in securing federal funding for the USDA purchase of commodities for federal feeding programs,
- Managing client priorities during the reauthorization of the Commodity Exchange Act,
- Assisting in the successful change of the federal Crop Insurance Program to better protect cotton growers,
- Assisting a ginning equipment company in its efforts to secure licensing for patented USDA technology,
- Leading a client's effort for the re-write and reform of a complete title of the 2008 Food Conservation and Energy Act, and
- Assisting in the legislative formation and policy work for major commodity check offs.